Monday, December 25, 2006

ODE TO MERRY CHRISTMAS

While the world was in a taxed uproar,
unnoticed except by a few,
He slipped in the world's back door.
The Word became dust, like us.

No grand entrance for this King;
making a big show's not his thing.
He likes the quiet margins and shadows,
teaching wonders from the grassy meadows.

Simple folk and simple life,
simple food and oppressive strife,
He walked our way bringing peace,
to those who are the last and the least.

Christmas child, Bethlehem son,
Immanuel, Anointed One
Entered our world in a surprising way.
Rejoice! my friends, he's here to stay.



A SHEPHERD'S DREAM



"My name is Zechariah ben Judah. I am a shepherd. I want to tell you something I have done. I held God in my hands...."

So begins a dramatic monologue I wrote years ago, telling the Christmas Story from the viewpoint of a shepherd. I "performed" it last evening at Fellowship Evangelical Covenant Church where I am interim pastor.

"For unto to you is born this day in the city of David a Savior who is Christ the Lord."

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 12/25/2006 6:35 AM, Blogger Linda said...

Merry Christmas John!

 
At 12/25/2006 6:47 PM, Blogger John Frye said...

And a Happy New Year to you, Grace!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home