Tuesday, August 08, 2006

I'VE BEEN TAGGED....

By Scot McKnight (a new kind of scholar):

1. One book that changed your life: A.W. Tozer's little volume The Pursuit of God.

2. One book that you’ve read more than once: The Way of the Heart by Henri J.M. Nouwen.

3. One book you’d want on a desert island: Eugene Peterson's Reversed Thunder: The Revelation of John and the Praying Imagination.

4. One book that made you laugh: Annie Dillard's An American Childhood.

5. One book that made you cry: My Losing Season by Pat Conroy, describing his father's treatment of him.

6. One book you wish had been written: My Name is Asher Lev by Chaim Potok.

7. One book you wish had never been written: How To Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnagie.

8. One book you’re currently reading: God In Search of Man: A Philosophy of Judaism by Abraham Heschel.

9. One book you’ve been meaning to read: Exclusion and Embrace: A Theological Exploration of Identity, Otherness and Reconciliation by Miroslav Volf.

10. Tag 5 others: Greg Mutch, Curt Howell, John Raymond, Jan Chapman and Susan Arnold. I don’t know if I’m supposed to e-mail you or just hope you read this. So, I’m counting on you reading this and posting your answers.

12 Comments:

At 8/08/2006 5:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I keep hearing about these books of Peterson's I haven't read yet.... ANOTHER one to put on the 'to read' list!

This is a fun meme: It has been so interesting reading your answers, and Scot's too.

 
At 8/08/2006 6:30 PM, Blogger John Frye said...

Susan,
And yours, too.
What a hoot this is!
Eugene Peterson is in a class by himself when it comes to pastoral theology and vision. He was emergent before emergent was "cool."

 
At 8/09/2006 12:26 PM, Blogger Jim Martin said...

John,
I would like to read the same book by M. Volf. I have heard a number of people make positive reference to his work.

 
At 8/09/2006 12:38 PM, Blogger John Frye said...

Jim,
I've heard a lot about it, too, and I hear you really have to work at it...not easy reading.

 
At 8/09/2006 7:07 PM, Blogger Scot McKnight said...

John, I've not read Reverse Thunder, but dang if that is not a great title.

 
At 8/09/2006 8:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scot - The phrase "Reversed Thunder" is from a poem about prayer by George Herbert, a 17th century poet pastor. Great image, isn't it?

RSP

 
At 8/10/2006 6:50 PM, Blogger Bob Robinson said...

John,

Nice choices. I, too, look forward to reading Exclusion and Embrace.

 
At 8/11/2006 9:20 AM, Blogger John Frye said...

Scot,
Dang! If it's not a good book, too. You'd like it.

 
At 8/11/2006 9:21 AM, Blogger John Frye said...

Thanks, Bob. Let me know what you think of Volf's book.

 
At 8/14/2006 6:58 AM, Blogger Kerry Doyal said...

7. One book you wish had never been written: How To Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnagie.


Okay, I'll bite... why? talk to me . . . but don't try to influence me ;-)

 
At 8/16/2006 5:50 PM, Blogger John Frye said...

Kerry, for two reasons--it's based on social manipulation and it was a "textbook" in seminary for pastoral ministry!

 
At 9/04/2006 11:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here are two things Carnegie advocates: Smile; Don't criticize, condemn or complain. Not very manipulative.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home