Tuesday, May 30, 2006

ROB BELL: BACK STORY TO "THE LORD'S TABLE"

(google image)


Once in a while I'll hear something that is crucial to the Christian faith take on new meaning and depth and wonder. This happened this past Sunday as Julie and I heard Rob Bell of Mars Hill Bible Church, Grandville, MI, speak about the Eucharist, or Communion, or the Lord's Table.

Evangelicalism has a penchant for flattening everything out; of ironing the wonder out of the faith; of bleaching out the mystery in order to get a good, analytical grasp on things. Rob in a clear and simple talk resurrected the wonder and mystery and impact of the Lord's Table.

I hope you will take time to hear Rob's talk. I'd be interested in your comments.

Listen here. Scroll down to May 28, 2006 "There's a Bit More Going On Here"

3 Comments:

At 6/01/2006 3:25 PM, Blogger Jim Martin said...

John,
I didn't realize until this past Saturday that you were back. I look forward to reading the posts I have missed.

 
At 6/01/2006 5:14 PM, Blogger John Frye said...

Jim'

I am glad you stopped by and commented. It's good to be back. I've also been visiting your blogspot and have been deeply encouraged.

 
At 7/14/2006 9:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Evangelicalism has a penchant for flattening everything out; of ironing the wonder out of the faith; of bleaching out the mystery in order to get a good, analytical grasp on things."

I love this. I'm a mainline pastor who knows that evangelicalism isn't the only culprit.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home