Thursday, October 26, 2006

"Leaf Drops Keep Fallin' on My Head..."



Behind our house we have some gorgeous trees and then there is a stretch of woods behind many of the houses on our side of the street.

The trees look like the one (in the picture) that's in front of a house down the street.

Julie and I went out on our deck this morning at about 7:30 and because we've had frost several mornings, the leaves are falling from the trees.

So far, so good, right?

I don't know where I've been all my life, but I discovered that the leaves fall, literally, like rain. It was chilly and quiet on our deck and in the quietness we could hear the leaves "raining" down through the branches to the ground. Everywhere we looked, at the small trees and tall trees, a cascade of color soflty crackled to the earth. My ears and brain sought to find a category for the sound because it was a new sound for me. "Rain" reported a couple of synapses and so "It sounds like 'rain'," synapsed into my consciousness.

I love newness. I hope I keep discovering sights and sounds and beauty in the ordinary wonder of a day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home