Wednesday, May 31, 2006

BACKYARD FEAST FOR THE EYES








As I am writing at the computer, I am able to gaze through the back-of-the-house window and take in the beauty of our "rock garden" (bottom picture). Julie and I, on pleasant evenings and weekends, will spend some time planting, weeding, watering and "upgrading" this special place.

Right now I can see the deep purple irises (second and third pictures) standing snooty and tall and royal. Behind the irises to the right about a yard are three lime-green, florishing hostas and behind the hostas are the "show offs," the look-at-me cherry-red weigelia flowers (top picture). Off to the right of this area about 6 yards are some lavender bearded irises, looking like a gathering of old men talking about Medicare (next to last picture). We also have ribbon grass, thin white and pale green blades looking like soldiers, serious and on duty. And I really like our rich green day lilies who pretend that they're fireworks shooting up out of the earth. "Oooooo-Aaaaaaaaa."

Around behind the rock garden is our hardy myrtle, spreading like a horseshoe-shaped, emerald green glacier. The myrtle's petite lavendar blooms are disappearing now, but for some weeks they really put on a rousing show. Along the front edge of the garden we planted phlox, but the myrtle is mercilessly encroaching on it. "Help, Myrtle is killing me!" the phlox seems to cry out.

Racing in and out of the rocks and plants are busy little chipmunks and rowdy, fat squirrels. And inches below the surface are the ubiquitous, mysterious earthworms. Robins and finches, sparrows, cardinals and bluejays (and many other Michigan birds that we can't identify) regularly visit our S-shaped, artificial stream with its 3 miniature "waterfalls."

No window that ever appears on this computer can match the wonder and beauty as I gaze out my house window. Real world beats virtual world every time.

"This is my Father's world...in the rustling grass I hear Him pass, He speaks to me everywhere."

4 Comments:

At 6/01/2006 8:29 AM, Blogger Dan DeLyon said...

Love the poetry of this piece. Thoughts after my own heart! And the verse you cite is the very one that inspired my Walk In the Woods piece, which I shared with you. Kudos!

-EZ

 
At 6/01/2006 5:15 PM, Blogger John Frye said...

El Zeeko,

Thanks for stopping by and saying such nice things. Looking forward to breakast with the boys soon.

 
At 6/03/2006 8:59 AM, Blogger Ted M. Gossard said...

Great pictures John. The time (or times?) I've seen it before, my computer was still probably downloading picts. What color! What a world our Father has created, all around us! (even here, in suburbia, we see enough to testify to that!)

 
At 6/04/2006 1:21 PM, Blogger Susan said...

This is beautiful. You obviously do not have to deal with a hot and dry climate like we are in Colorado so far! Everything is so green in your yard!! Lovely!
-Susan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home